Sunday, December 9, 2018

Black Death!

 Got started on a snowy day finishing up the trailing edges of my elevators.  I am going to use this 3M VHB tape on the trailing edges similar to how I did the rudder.

 I finally am forced to get out the black death, AKA Pro-Seal.  I have this small kit that should be just enough to glue the foam ribs into the elevators.
 Buttered them up per the directions and inserted them in the elevators.

 After I placed all 4 of them, I moved on to clecoing the trailing edge to the VHB tape.  You can see I already have one side of the AEX wedge stuck in place at this point.

 I pulled the covering from the other side of the VHB tape and installed the cleco's thru the aluminum angle I made a while back to help keep the trailing edge straight.  Then I weighted down the skins where the foam ribs are to ensure good contact with the pro-seal.


 The VHB tape needs a few hours to fully stick according to the directions.  So I left that alone and moved on to trim tab stuff.


 I went to Lowes and purchased an oak board to make these trim tab fixture/jig things.  Marked them all.

 Cut them at the band saw.  The best of them will be used to help fold over the close out tabs on the skins.

 Next these templates have to be glued to the foam blanks.

 All glued.  Used spray glue.

 Then cut them on the bandsaw.

 After a few hours I then went on to squeeze the trailing edge rivets.  This is the flush manufactured head side.

 And this is the shop head side.

 Then I installed the pop rivets in the root shear clip and skins where they over lap.

 The way I got those results was to cleco the whole thing leaving out about every fifth cleco.

 I would partially squeeze about every fifth rivet.  Just enough to set it so nothing can move.

 Then I would go back and remove the cleco's in between the riveted holes and squeeze the rivets in those.  Then rinse and repeat until all the holes are filled with partially squeezed rivets.  Here is what it looks like before final squeezing.  The idea is to move around and not start at one end and squeeze them all in a row.  This is a guaranteed way to make a curve in the trailing edge.  Moving around spreads out the expansion created by squeezing.

 Then I go back and final squeeze.  I used a set of flat squeezer sets but put a small piece of the AEX wedge in between the set and the manufactured head of the rivet.  This makes the angles all align and works great.  Just don't over squeeze!


 The end result!

 Then I put the pop rivets in the other elevator shear clip.

Next I squeezed the remaining rivets on the outboard side of the elevators to the counterbalance rib.  The last one at the trailing edge on the bottom is a pain due to clearance even with the no hole yoke.  I just put a MK-319-BS pop rivet in there and moved on.  This is a Van's approved substitution.

No comments:

Post a Comment