Friday, October 26, 2018

Elevator Counterbalance Ribs and Skins

The past few build sessions have been slowed down due to the fact that I have had to work two weeks straight with no day off.  It is maintenance shutdown week at work and they are trying to kill me.  Lots going on and I have been going wide open all week!

 Started tonight by cleco'ing together the elevator counterbalance ribs.  These parts are provided with no blue film, pre-fluted and they already have the tail ends of the long rib dimpled.  At first I thought Van's had shipped me some pre-used parts but after closer inspection, they did this work in the factory.  Not sure why.

 Match reamed these front three big holes to #12

 Then I match reamed all the #30 holes.

 Then I match reamed all these #40 holes.

That was a bunch of holes for two simple parts!


Marked the bend line on the tabs that get bent up or down on the elevator skins.

 Next I bent the tabs up and down on the elevator skins.  Used the same blocks of wood I used on the rudder counterbalance skin folding.


 And just like that I have all four tabs bent.  This locks in the position of the skins since now they are directional.

No comments:

Post a Comment