Monday, April 22, 2019

Tail Cone Riveting Part #6

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel for riveting this tail cone together.....

Tonight I got started by riveting the side skins to the longerons in the area under the aft deck.  Left out the rivets for the emp fairing attach screw holes.

Then I cleco'ed the entire aft deck to the tail cone with cleco's in every hole for good alignment and no twisting.

Next I started riveting parts for good.  Started in the back.

 Then riveted the elevator stop brace.

And then riveted the aft deck to the longerons.  Skipped the area called out in the plans around the HS attach bars.  Finally I rived the aft most top bulkhead to the deck.

I used a combination of longeron yoke and 4" no hole yoke and the squeezer to rivet most of these rivets.  A few had to be bucked.  I wish I had a 3" regular yoke!  My longeron yoke is 2.5" and my larger regular yoke is also 2.5".  A 3" would allow more access.  I don't like to use the 4" no hole yoke on 1/8" rivets due to the springiness of it.  You have to be super careful to align it very well to prevent tippers.

No comments:

Post a Comment