Monday, January 14, 2019

Tail Cone Longeron Work

Back to work on the plane!  Been sick and out of town for a couple weeks!  Tonight I got started by marking the longerons for cut to length.  They are shipped a little long.  Measure about 10 times on this one because you don't want to screw this up!

I used the cut-off wheel for this job.  To long and wild for the band saw.

Then I marked the HS stab mount bar relief holes and punched them for drilling.

Started with a smaller drill.

Then went up to 1/4".

Next I marked for the relief cut.

And used the cut-off wheel to cut out the material.  Then used a few files to clean it all up.

Next comes the whack a mole method to bend the longerons 2° down at just the right spot.  I just followed the directions and it works.  Seems brutal and it is but it works.  Did the same thing back when I built the RV-7.

Here you can see the slight angle starting at that line when compared to a straight edge.

And once the second one is done, here are the two back to back.

No comments:

Post a Comment