Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Tail Cone...Final fitting before tear down


Started tonight by removing the top skins.

 Then removed the top J stiffeners.

 Drilled these seat belt anchor brackets to the longerons.  They get set in 1/8" from the edge of the longeron.

 When these holes are drilled per the plans, they break the edge distance rule.  This is by design however.  Not sure why but Van's has their reasons.

 Did the other side.

 Next I went ahead and punched out the hole required for the Cleaveland Tool static ports I bought way back there.  They require a 1/2" hole.

 I used the prepunched pilot hole in  the skin as a guide and used a UNIBIT to make it full size.

 Nice looking fit!

 Next I upsized the pre punched hole on these inspection plate covers so that I could match ream them to #12.

 Here I match reamed the screw holes to #12.

 And then reamed the nutplate mount holes to #40 which is full size.

Finally I marked the right skin for the removal of this triangular extension that must be removed.  No idea why Van's puts this on both skins other than the tooling must be common prior to bending them and making the L & R parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment