Saturday, December 29, 2018

Tail Cone Bulkhead and Stringer Work

 So my wife bought me this time saving tool for my birthday.  Definitely a luxury tool!  I tried it out on a few holes and it seems to work as advertised.   May have to get a #30 sized one as well.  Basically this lets you deburr both sides of a hole with one quick motion.  Works also for blind holes and holes where you can't get normal deburr tools to the backside of a hole like close rib flanges and stuff.

 Started today by fabricating this stiffener that goes on top of one of the bulkheads.  The ends are to be cut at an angle.

 The bandsaw made this easy.  Just used a piece of wood to hold the aluminum angle up as required for the cut.

 Next was separating these doublers.  I think these were added to the kits as a SB at some point because this bulkhead was cracking.

 Used the bandsaw to separate them, then deburred them.

 Now I marked center and the 1/8" line on the aluminum angle I cut above.

 And clamped it to the top of the bulkhead after clecoing the doublers on.  I used the center line and the 1/8" offset line to center and properly position the angle.

 Then I match drilled the angle to the bulkhead.

 Next I cleco'ed this bulkhead together.

 And match reamed the common holes.

 The next bulkhead got the same.

 And match reaming.

 And punching up these holes to 5/8" with the unibit.

 Then the largest bulkhead.

 Only the top cross part gets match reamed at this point.  The bottom ones don't get done at this point.

 Finally I cut all the J stringer's to length.

And cut the ends at the 45° angle per the directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment